Sunday, May 14, 2006

Invasion of your MOM

This week: Invasion of the Minnesota Normals, WNEP at the Apollo Studio- a play about the total absurdity of those personality tests they use in corporate America. It was eeeeenteresting, you know. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. A slow start, some moments of intense hilarity, weirdness and bite, and rather a pat ending. They had good performers, but some of them were a great deal subtler than others. Not to say better, but there was a style disconnect between some actors that kept the play from cohering. Judicious cuts and some actor adjustments could really improve it.

My first time in the dear, homey little Apollo studio. So cozy! So neat! Love the little corner bar!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the review. I have just visited this site and hope you post more shows !

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your reviews.

I look forward to more of your postings !!!!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really have to disagree about the "actor disconnect." The different energies of all te characters, as well as the subtlety of some, and the goofiness of others made it in enjoyable to watch. I would prefer to watch different styles come together, and i feel they melded very well. It was awkward at times because the actors chose it to be that way, as their characters.

Also something to note: in real life, are people's personality styles the same? and if not, can they not interact? i am very loud and goofy, but i can hang out with a subtle person, and have a great time. To me, the show portrayed that perfectly, and I feel it was directed this way on purpose. Jen Ellison is a great writer and director. Also, your review is wishy washy and muddled.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your review!

I think it is pretty spot on. The actor disconnect makes for a jolting show. The beginning is awkward and slow because of it. So is the end. But the middle, I enjoyed very very much.

The script is fun and well written. I think with a couple different choices in the directing and maybe in casting, this show could really go places.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Reina said...

Ok kids! Play nice! I've had to delete a needlessly aggressive comment, and then a reply which had ceased to make sense. We're all friends here! I can accept a little criticism of myself, (smile when you say that, anon number three), but I'm going to have to shut down anonymous trash talking of others.

See what you've made me do? Figure out how to use the delete comments function on blogspot. Yes. That's what you've made me do.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home