Saturday, May 06, 2006

Does she live?

Adapting something like "The Old Curiosity shop," a serial novel by someone who got paid per word, is no easy trick. I just got back from the Lookingglass theatre's swing at it, which was graceful and energetic and beautifully staged (of course!) By and large, the actors had the cartoonish vitality of the classic Dickensian sorts, especially their Quilp, whose posture was nothing short of uncanny. He did the whole part in a constant plie, all the more impressive since his spidery thighs look to be nothing but bone. The knees on that man! Fair warning: It's Dickens at his most raucously sentimental, but even cynics will have a lot to laugh at. Also should be a great show for kids who dig Lemony Snicket. Ah, torturing children. Creating great literature for young and old since the Greeks.

Also, before it closes, try to make time for "Dustbowl Gothic" at the Building Stage. Why? First, it's free- not just for me, but for everybody. Second, it is beautiful beautiful beautiful, category stark. (I mean to say, starkly beautiful.) It's also quite funny, with some great actors, and some pretty music. It's a little sketchy on plot and sense, but it's just coup de theatre after coup de theatre.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always amazed with the Lookingglass. Although I wish there was a way they could bring their work to NYC and blow the heck out of some of these (99%) overpriced broadway shows ! NYC dissapoints.

1:25 PM  
Blogger RebeccaZ said...

Hi, Reina - I just found your site and wanted to introduce myself as well as compliment you on your reviews. My name's Rebecca and I'm the coartistic and managing director of the GreyZelda Theatre Group. www.greyzelda.com. We're currenly performing Desire Under the Elms at the Oracle Theatre located at 3809 N. Broadway through June 3rd. If you could come and review it, that would be great. Or if you could just come and see it that would be awesome as well. You can find further information on the website as I don't want to leave a gigantic press release as a comment. Take care and I look forward to seeing you at the show!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home