Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Kick off my Sunday Shoes...

So, hideously late night having seen "Footloose" at the Marriot in freakin' Lincolnshire, and now, laundry. I would also like to mention that I have lost my second bicycle in a month to bicycle thieves. Kick a bicycle thief today!

So, Footloose was fun... ish. Extremely, extremely fluffy. I perhaps should have been drunk to totally enjoy it. However, it is one of those musicals that folds in hit songs from the 70s that are frequently sung on American Idol. Yes, the two best numbers were "I Need a Hero," (which inspired deep, deep Kareoke cravings within me) and "Let's Hear it for the Boy." All the young people had strong, overwrought pop-rock voices, and were good dancers, and the all the old people had stage presence. The lead girl was kind of slutty- not an actual slut, nor a wide-eyed innocent- but just a sort of slutty teenage girl, which makes me happy. She had a pretty cat face. The secondary girl had some lovely pipes and channeled Molly Shannon. The lead male was serviceable but rather boring.

All in all, not my cup of tea. See, it's about a town where dancing is illegal, and though that seems like some crazy red-state allegory stuff would go down with that plotline... eh, no. It's actually about getting over grief. Gyp. But it won back my goodwill with the ultra-high-energy, reprise every song in the show finale.

Forgot to tell you all about "The Great and Terrible Wizard of Oz" on Saturday. Molly Brennan's outfit alone is worth the price of admission, but add in her actual performance, and Jake Minton's just damn cute Lion, and all those darn munchkins, and the tango, and Cliff Chamberlain's action-star parody tin-man, and all the rest, and you'll get a very good deal indeed. I don't care what you say. As far as I'm concerned, this is the only Oz in town.

Sunday brought me to the very bizarre and super-lovely spectacle by Redmoon, "Loves Me, Loves me Not." Wondrous. I know they had to knock it together last minute in order to avoid the wrong sort of Katrina associations, but I was still quietly thrilled. I couldn't even tell which marvelous things were Redmoon, and which were just nature being obliging- like a suspiciously well timed flock of geese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home